John Agno provides Five Leadership Conversation Principles
that should be used by project managers when working on projects with the underlying premise, and first principle, being:
Effective coaching can happen on the dance floor of conversation.
If I had to write out my philosophy on managing projects into five key principles... these principles would be my principles. Here's a summary:
1. Understand that coaching stems from conversations
2. Get to the point of conversations early.
3. Swim in the ambiguity of a conversation while listening to the other person's point of view
4. Allow people to solve their own problems
5. Understand that progress happens when you take the time to ask the right questions
The key to being an effective project manager is being a good listener and asking the right questions. Most people can regurgitate that line back to you, but few actually live it.